Committee on Public Works and Operations
Councilmember Nadeau is the Chair of the Committee on Public Works and Operations, which is responsible for matters relating to the general operation and service of government, including procurement; human rights; partnerships and grants management; LGBT affairs; veterans affairs; administrative law and procedure; consumer and regulatory affairs; recycling; waste management; and regulation of for-hire vehicles.
Councilmember Brianne K. Nadeau, Chair
Councilmember Janeese Lewis George
Councilmember Brooke Pinto
Councilmember Robert White
Councilmember Trayon White
Committee Oversight Hearings
From January to March each year, Council committees hold performance oversight hearings at which councilmembers examine the operations and effectiveness of the various agencies under their purview. They will ask agency representatives to speak about how they have implemented the vision and programs in the previous year’s budget.
After the Mayor submits her budget for the coming year, councilmembers use what they’ve learned from the oversight hearings to influence their proposed changes to the budget.
Performance Oversight Hearings in the Committee on Public Works and Oversight
Feb. 1, 9:30 am-1:30 pm | Mayor’s Office of Community Affairs; Office of LGBTQ+ Affairs; Office of Veterans Affairs; Office of Religious Affairs; Office of Partnerships and Grants Services; Interfaith Council; Emancipation Commemoration Commission.
Feb. 1, 2-6 pm | Office of Risk Management
Feb. 6, 9:30 am – 1:30 pm | Office of Administrative Hearings; Advisory Committee to the Office of Administrative Hearings; Commission on Selection and Tenure of Administrative Law Judges
Feb. 9, 9:30 am – 1:30p | Office of Human Rights; Human Rights Commission
Feb. 15, 9:30 am – 1:30 pm | Department of For-Hire Vehicles
Feb. 15, 2 pm – 6 pm | Department of Public Works
Feb. 22, 9:30 am – 1:30 pm | Office of Contracting & Procurement; Contract Appeals Board
Feb. 22, 2-6 pm | Department of Licensing & Consumer Protection; Office of the Chief Technology Officer
Your Voice is Essential
Any resident can speak before any committee during the oversight hearings, and you are encouraged to do so! Tell us what you think is working right and not working well in the agencies, from trash pickup to safety to affordable housing and arts and culture. You can also contact councilmembers before the hearings and suggest specific questions they should ask of the agency representatives.
Testifying Before the Committee on Public Works & Operations
If you wish to testify before the Committee, please visit brianneknadeau.com/testify or call (202) 724-8170.
The committee will attempt to accommodate all requests for special accommodations and oral interpretation. Those representing organizations will have five minutes to present their testimony, and individuals will have three minutes to present their testimony; less time will be allowed if there is a large number of witnesses.
Agency Oversight & Purview
Agencies under the committee’s oversight:
- Advisory Board on Veterans Affairs for the District of Columbia
- Advisory Committee on Street Harassment
- Advisory Committee to the Office of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Questioning Affairs
- Commission on Fashion Arts and Events
- Commission on Human Rights
- Contract Appeals Board
- Department of For-Hire Vehicles
- Department of Licensing and Consumer Protection
- Department of Public Works
- Deputy Mayor for Operations and Infrastructure, shared jointly with the Committee on Transportation and Environment
- Emancipation Commemoration Commission
- For-Hire Vehicle Advisory Council
- Interfaith Council
- Office of Administrative Hearings, including the Advisory Committee to the Office of Administrative Hearings and the Commission on Selection and Tenure of Administrative Law Judges
- Office of Community Affairs
- Office of Contracting and Procurement
- Office of Human Rights
- Office of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Questioning Affairs
- Office of Partnerships and Grants Services
- Office of Risk Management
- Office of the Chief Technology Officer
- Office of Veterans Affairs
- Office on Religious Affairs