Committee on Public Works and Operations
Councilmember Nadeau is the Chair of the Committee on Public Works and Operations, which is responsible for matters relating to the general operation and service of government, including procurement; human rights; partnerships and grants management; LGBT affairs; veterans affairs; administrative law and procedure; consumer and regulatory affairs; recycling; waste management; and regulation of for-hire vehicles.
Members of the committee: Councilmember Brianne K. Nadeau, Chair; Councilmember Janeese Lewis George; Councilmember Brooke Pinto; Councilmember Robert C. White, Jr.; and Councilmember Trayon White, Sr.
Performance and Budget Oversight Hearings
From January to March each year, Council committees hold performance oversight hearings at which councilmembers examine the operations and effectiveness of the various agencies under their purview. They will ask agency representatives to speak about how they have implemented the vision and programs in the previous year’s budget.
By March 20, 2024, Mayor Bowser is expected to release her proposed budget for fiscal year 2025, which starts October 1, 2024. This initiates the Council’s budget oversight process. Building on information and lessons learned from the testimony of agencies and public witnesses during performance oversight hearings, each Council committee, including the Committee on Public Works and Operations, will analyze the budgets of the agencies under its purview and recommend changes to the full Council.
Any resident can speak before the committee during the budget oversight hearings and members of the committee greatly value the input or residents, advocates and others. Tell us what you think is working right and what is not working well in the agencies the committee oversees, from trash pickup to safety to parking enforcement, human rights, and more. Visit the D.C. Council Budget Office website for a more detailed explanation of the D.C. budget process.
Testifying Before the Committee on Public Works & Operations
Find the hearing you are interested in and click on "Register to Testify" or "Submit Testimony" in the upper right-hand corner.
If you have questions, call (202) 724-8170.
The committee will attempt to accommodate all requests for special accommodations and oral interpretation. Those representing organizations will have five minutes to present their testimony, and individuals will have three minutes to present their testimony; less time may be allotted if there is a large number of witnesses.
You may sign up to testify for all hearings – not just the Committee on Public Works & Operations – at the same link.
2024 Oversight Hearing Dates
Performance Oversight Hearings
January 24 at 9 am
Mayor’s Office of Community Affairs: the offices of Veterans Affairs, LGBTQ Affairs, Religious Affairs, and Clean City
Department of Licensing and Consumer Protection
February 7 at 2 pm
Department of Public Works
February 8 at 2 pm
Office of Administrative Hearings
February 13 at 2 pm
Office of the Chief Technology Officer
Office of Risk Management
February 15 at 9:30 am
Office of Contracting and Procurement
Contract Appeals Board
February 16* at 9:30 am
Department for For-Hire Vehicles
*Rescheduled from Jan. 30
February 21 at 9:30 am
Office of Human Rights
Human Rights Commission
Budget Oversight Hearings
Check back for dates, starting in March.
Agency Oversight & Purview
Agencies under the committee’s oversight:
- Advisory Board on Veterans Affairs for the District of Columbia
- Advisory Committee on Street Harassment
- Advisory Committee to the Office of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Questioning Affairs
- Commission on Fashion Arts and Events
- Commission on Human Rights
- Contract Appeals Board
- Department of For-Hire Vehicles
- Department of Licensing and Consumer Protection
- Department of Public Works
- Deputy Mayor for Operations and Infrastructure, shared jointly with the Committee on Transportation and Environment
- Emancipation Commemoration Commission
- For-Hire Vehicle Advisory Council
- Interfaith Council
- Office of Administrative Hearings, including the Advisory Committee to the Office of Administrative Hearings and the Commission on Selection and Tenure of Administrative Law Judges
- Office of Community Affairs
- Office of Contracting and Procurement
- Office of Human Rights
- Office of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Questioning Affairs
- Office of Partnerships and Grants Services
- Office of Risk Management
- Office of the Chief Technology Officer
- Office of Veterans Affairs
- Office on Religious Affairs